Sunday, September 11, 2011

Flying on 9/11

Both Crosscheck and I are flying internationally (EX USA) today, the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Airport traffic seems moderate for a Sunday, perhaps a little lighter than normal. We will see and hear some industry stats in the days to come.

For me, flying on 9/11 wasn't a personal statement about freedom, or sending a statement to terrorists, it was a function of knowing that I had to be in Europe on September 12, and picking a flight that would get me there overnight from the East Coast. Only after getting the confirmation email did I look and think, "Oh crap, that departure is the 10th anniversary of September 11!"

But I didn't think about changing my plans. If anything, security leading up to today has been more strict (at least...I assume it has!), and scoring an upgrade (money + miles on CO) was smooth.

Here's to pondering the changes 9/11 brought (not just to air travel), and to safer flying from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment